Beignet the African Grey

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BATH TIME

When one brings an abused animal into their home the process of trust is slow. That has been the case with Beignet. African Grey's are not usually a cuddly parrot like some other parrots. They enjoy their personal space, and for Beignet that personal space is carefully controlled by her. I observe it and honor it. That is how trust is created.

For some time she has been cuddling my cheek and I have a hand sign that means cuddle to her. Once again, sign language takes down one more barrier for a parrot. They are keen observers of body language and this is a way to use that to my benefit. Last night when she cuddled with me she purred! I have never known that a parrot would do this. I heard her growl at a lady she didn't like once, but to hear her purr with affection was pure bliss.

Over the past two weeks Beignet has been eagerly coming for a bath. In the past I tricked her to get her to the bath, but now she looks forward to it, and is insulted if I don't offer a bath to her when I take mine. This is a great sign of trust on her part. Parrots need daily baths and she has always used her water dish for this. Now she does both. The fantastic part of this is that her feathers have begun to glow. All this from a parrot who was rescued bare naked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home