Beignet the African Grey

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

DADDY

Beignet has loved Bob from the first day she met him. It isn't just a tolerance, she really loves him, but in a much different way than she loves me. I am her caregiver, her love provider, and her primary person. I correct her and do most of the housework around her cage. Bob gives her veggies and fruit every morning, and gives her more crackers than I do. He was the one that listened for three hours as she learned to say "more". But, Bob doesn't have much physical contact with Beignet because he is concerned about the safety of his fingers. They do help provide the paycheck.

Tonight I was playing the "Step-up Step-Down" game with Beignet (self explanatory game). Since she was quite warmed up and feeling very friendly I encouraged Bob to come over, showed him how to hold his hand and asked Beignet to step up. She hesitated and didn't know if she wanted to, and then we adjusted his hand a little and she stepped right up. I was so proud of her. It was the first time she had gone to another person and felt comfortable. Bob was amazed. He has always used a dowel to pick her up if he needed to. This is a good start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home