Beignet the African Grey

Thursday, October 20, 2011

THE NEED TO SPELL

The other night Bob and I were talking about Beignet. She has been out of her collar for nearly two weeks without picking until she bleeds. That is a new record for her. It seems that she now understands that when she makes herself bleed she has to be in the COLLAR.

So...we were talking about her progress and what might happen if the collar needed to go back on and I realized that Beignet was listening to us. She knows the word collar very well so when I said it I had to whisper it to Bob. After I did we both started laughing. This is what you do with a six year old child. By seven they can spell.

We were also talking about the ways that Beignet understands languages. She knows body language, sign language, English, Parrot, and a few mechanical sounds. The actually knows two kinds of body language - hers and ours. That is a lot for an animal to understand and I am always stunned by her intelligence. Recently she has been learning the days of the week. Amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home